Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Dani's Yoga Update 2

Today (17.07.07) we started split Mysore practice; Sharath gave us new times – 6:30 for me and 7:30 for Peter. We figured that if I showed up a little early and Peter showed up a little late we could minimize the time the boys had to wait with their journals on the Shala steps. As it turned out, the boys have found a new friend (apart from Benjamin the Dutch boy and Alex and Jonathan the Swedish boys, all between 10 and 13): 35-year-old Pete from London, self-confessed perpetual naughty boy who tickled each of them almost to tears at Tina’s a few days ago, and who chatted with them until I came out. Practice felt mellow today, people around me were in a nice space – with the mats packed in so close, an element to practicing here is the vibe you generate and receive from others around you. Somewhere in front of my wandering drishti (or maybe I could call it ‘parsva drishti’) was a man doing a graceful third series, glistening with sweat and fiercely focused, but at the same time very calm and smooth. Very inspiring. Supta Kurmasana may be here to stay (touch wood); it’s worked every time. I also survived the dreaded backbending adjustment quite happily: After doing three backbends, you stand up and drop back three times, then you wait with your arms folded across your chest. When they’re ready, Sharath or Saraswati comes over and holds you by the hips while you arch over backward and come back up, three times. Then you go all the way down, wriggle your hands as close as you can to your heels, and then they move your hands to your ankles and you hang on and try to breathe. Only one thing didn’t work: yesterday I stood up under a half-open window at home and cracked my head hard enough to draw blood. No headstands for me today!!

No comments: